Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Hospital Day One

Monday, not-so-fun-day. Liz was admitted at noon today. In typical ridiculous hospital time, it is now almost 11:00pm, and she is just starting the solution that will get her to start clean out. Ridiculous.

Liz objected to the NG tube, and tried a few times to hide her nose when the nurses came in to put the tube down her nose and into her stomach, but she got it done and I am so proud of her. After telling Dr. L that she was angry at her and at me for "doing this to her." I know I have said before how amazing Dr. L is, and I wish in some way she could know how highly I speak of her; she is just so intent on getting Liz well. She came in to see Liz late this afternoon, and as soon as she walked in the door she said " I think people need some hugs. I know I could use a hug." She then spoke candidly to Liz about how much this whole situation sucks.
After getting the NG put in, Liz told me "I knew I needed this tube. I knew I couldn't do the clean out at home as well as the tube can, I just didn't want to say it because I wanted to wait to have to do this."
She is so stinkin' smart and knows her body so well.

An hour ago she had an abdominal xray to get a look at how much stool is impacted now and she also had an xray of her ankle. Say what?!
Yesterday at the pool, she hit her ankle on the water slide. She has complained since then about it, but I will admit that I boo-hoo'd it. By the time we got to the hospital today though, her ankle is black and blue and super swollen. It is bad enough for the doctors to want an x-ray....and bad enough for me to look a little bad because I didn't ice it or worry about it at all. : (

So, day one is almost done, and the difficult part of getting the NG tube in is over with.
It will be a looooong night though as our poor girl rids her body of all of the stool that is impacted. The whole process is ten times more uncomfortable as you can imagine it is. Liz just has to keep calm, endure the cramping and constant stooling, and keep her mind on the fact that 24 hours from now this part will be over and she will be ready for surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment