Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

"I want to be like her when I grow up!"

Tonight I had a date with my favorite volleyball player- just the two of us. I am trying so hard to make time alone with Kate and show her that I support her passion....volleyball. I have been super lucky to have the help of family so that I can attend all of her tournaments, with the exception of one, even when Liz is in the hospital.
Kate is like her daddy- she is quiet and reserved until she feels like opening up and letting loose. She is silly and has a great sense of humor. She doesn't say much, but what she does say is usually very important, smart or poignant....or totally uncalled for (again, just like her daddy). Kate isn't a hugger, but when she is ready or up for it, she will snuggle into me like a baby. I am convinced she is smarter than me, and so is she, so I do double-time keeping her sass in-check. Kate totally teaches me to listen, wait, observe, and she reminds me to be intentional when I speak. I am confused by her, spend a lot of time trying to figure her out, and I adore her.

Anyway, tonight we attended the Long Beach State Alumni game. Before you can visualize our night, you have to understand that LB State athletics is in my blood- by association. I spent years and years of my childhood sitting in the bleachers of the Gold Mine and then the 'Mid back in the days when Men's and Women's basketball and Women's volleyball was a sell-out each game. My grandparents were and are active boosters, and my grandmother ended up working for the Athletic Department, so our family followed, and whether it was a school night or not, the Ramseys were there. I was laughing with my grandma tonight about how I would pray for no over time because doing homework in that crazy, loud atmosphere was impossible (but expected!). I was never an athlete, so I did not care much what was going on on that court and most times I was picking out the cutest boy in the crowd or running the bleachers with Alexis and Michael McDonald. Looking back now, I appreciate those years in attendance, because great friendships were made.
Tonight it was fun for me to watch players I'd watch play years ago and it was awesome to stare at Kate's face as she watched her favorites.
My grandma- my Amie- is a fixture at LB State. Tonight for example, she was like a queen holding court as she sat in the stands, and people came to her one by one to say hello. My Amie is the most caring and kind person (can you tell how proud I am that she is my Amie?), and because of that she has always given the players the smile, tenderness and love of someone who cares about them, not just their play. In turn, players like Misty May and Danielle Scott (who lived with my Amie during a time while playing at LB State) care very much for my Amie.

A date night with my Kate, the chance for her to finally meet Misty and also Danielle, and time to watch how much my Amie is admired by so many. Such a great night.
First try at a picture....

Kate's T-shirt, now signed by Misty and Danielle. We stood talking to Danielle in the parking lot
for 10 minutes, but I totally forgot to get a picture. Bummer.

MUCH better. I saved my tears for the car, but seriously, watching my Kate meet someone she wants to be like when she grows up and considers a role model made me cry.
Kate said her heart was beating different after talking to Misty...how cute is that?!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear that you're having a good time with your other twin. So cool she got to meet a few great players :) Girls from the second better volleyball in the world, great! I live in the country of the greatest girls volleyball by now - Brasil!! =P But I absolutely adore Hooker! :D

    ReplyDelete