Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Serve and be grateful

"TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS REQUIRED"

One of my favorites! We have this up in the house in several places, as I believe it and I want the kids to see the words and come to believe, too.

The song that is playing now is another favorite of mine.... "greater things have yet to come and greater things are still to be done in this city. We believe in You God."

Today, in Long Beach, many gathered to participate in Serve The City. The girls and I decided to serve alongside other members from our church at the COA. The COA provides meals, clothing and groceries to anyone at their doorstep. We spent the morning sorting (and sorting and sorting...) and hanging clothes. Others in our group (heeeyyy Nickie and Bear!) did fix-it jobs and some major deep cleaning.

It is natural for me to want to serve; that's just how I am made. I realize that my children may not naturally be driven to do that - though I see it in the girls-. Still, it is important to me that they do for others and learn that service without anything in return(other than the wonderful feeling that comes from helping others) is what we are called to do. I started with the kids early and I can see that service to others, kindness and giving without expectation has become something they easily embrace and want to make a part of their lives.

This morning's project was a huge lesson/reminder for the girls. Their walk-in closet is a disaster! I can supervise them cleaning it one weekend, and by the following Saturday, it is a mess; a heap of clothes on the floor. A constant battle between us. This morning, as they sorted through bags and boxes of used clothing and hung the pieces up for someone else they know will be grateful to get to chose and take home, I know their little (big) minds were thinking.

After serving, I asked the girls if they had any thoughts about what we had just done. Liz said she was "emotional" and Kaitlin said " I think we have a lot even thought we don't have the most like some people. We should feel lucky."
Exactly, my Kate, to whom much is given, much is required. We have (so)much so we should give much. I pray my kids will always know this and always want to live a life of service. Love your neighbors as yourself, it is as simple as that.
"It is more blessed to give than receive"- Acts 20:35







1 comment: