Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Okay, Seriously Serious

Life is such a ride. I have heard it said that God is faithful-believe that, but He can be unpredictable-know that.

Our wonderful parents of young children lifestage group is a family that cares so deeply for each other. By the title, we obviously have in common that we all are raising children and so we know each other's families and we are all blessed enough to be able to support each other whether through friendship alone, or childcare when it is needed, or meals when a family suffers an illness or the new life of a baby. We have helped eachother move homes, build homes and even financially be able to stay on one's home. We also have the privilege of praying for each other, and in some cases, coming together to literally lay hands on a family in prayer. Tonight, a group of 14 came to our home to pray over us; to pray especially over Liz. A neighbor, who was invited to pray by one of the men in our group, came to the door, Bible in-hand and even prayed aloud for Liz. I would have bet all my money that he would have declined the invitation. He taught me a lesson tonight about not listening to His prompting and about not assuming anything. My kids were able to see that a neighbor cares for them as he cares for himself.... yet again more scripture lived out for them to witness. I wish someone had been taking pictures of it all, because it was amazing. I worried Liz may be frightened to have people surrounding her and coming to the Lord in prayer on her behalf, out loud, in front of her. It did not. Instead she sat perfectly calm and at one point had tears in her eyes.
What a gift. What a gracious, wonderful gift.

This time of prayer could not have been planned any more perfectly. Just before people arrived at our home, I received a call from Elizabeth's Infectious Disease doctor.....
Liz has been complaining of ringing in her ear and muffled hearing, since Friday. I wanted to wait a day to make sure that she wasn't having the common ringing of the ear that we all get from time-to-time. One day turned into two and I should have paged the doctor yesterday, but ignorance is bliss at times and I decided to wait until this morning just to be absolutely sure the ringing was still an issue...as though watching her hold her head wasn't a good enough sign. Uhh,the guilt. Anyway, a serious side effect of Vancomycin can be ringing of the ears and hearing loss. She will have a hearing test soon to see if she's suffered any hearing loss-I do NOT think she has. We are stopping the drug immediately and the Infectious Disease Team is going to talk in the morning about what to do now. They will have to weigh which of the new drugs to try. Given that the Vancomycin did make her symptoms better while she has been on it, the doctor is wanting to maybe try one more drug before going for a fecal transplant. We will talk much more with the doctors in the morning.

This is a serious setback for Liz. She is not ready to be off antibiotics yet, as the toxin is still causing her symptoms. While they figure out which drug to use and order it (the hospital does not have the two new drugs), she will be off antibiotics, so I pray her bleeding and horrible pain does not return. There is also the concern that the new drugs have not been tested on children yet. Risk vs benefit.... so scary.

Please, please continue to pray for her healing and for protection from the side effects that each drug carries. Growing up I would often say (as if nothing else I'd ever said had ever carried as much weight)"Okay, listen to me, I'm serious this time..."- when wanting the floor/wanting the full attention of those around me(can you blame me? I was competing with second and third-born darling Megan and in-your-face-look-at-me Travis! : ) ). Anyway, I feel like saying the same thing now: "Listen to me, I'm serious. If it wasn't serious before, now it is serious.

I am upset and scared, worried and burdened by this new development. I have been praying for the very opposite of what has happened. And still, I feel cared for and loved and absolutely reminded that though it kills me to watch her suffer, none of what happens to Liz is in vain. She has brought people together and she is so obedient to it all....how can I not follow her example.

1 comment:

  1. Went to bed eager to read this latest update. Your family, your friendds, and your community are all coming to know Jesus in deep, real ways because of Liz' journey. thank you for including us all.

    ReplyDelete