Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sister











There is nothing like having a sister.
There is nothing like mothering sisters.It is both a privilege and pain to watch the relationship of daughters, and mothering identical twin girls is proving to be a huge life lesson....a beautiful, blessed lesson. How in the world I was chosen to get two at the same time to raise, I will forever
 be amazed and grateful for.

The past few years of Elizabeth's declining health has added another dimension to
raising Elizabeth and Kaitlin. Though we try hard to not let her health be a focus of our
family, it would not be truth to say that it isn't playing a role in our little world- and in the girls' relationship. Having an identical twin is forever having a mirror....and while Liz's body has failed her, she is able to see Kate growing taller, bigger, stronger.Kate spends her days in school with friends, while Liz spends days at the hospital.Kate doesn't need help taking a shower. Kate doesn't need medications or treatments to keep her well. Kate can go to a sleepover with friends without having to worry about bringing an iv pole or meds, or what food will be served, or if she will get sick in the
middle of the night. Kate has freedom. And still, I am sure that all of those things really don't factor in much when Kaitilin thinks of the attention, stress and worry that her sister's issues bring to our family-much bigger issues than the normal, usual things that sisters usually deal with.

 My heart breaks sometimes when I see how the girls can hurt each other. Sisters can be so mean to one another and their tongues can cut like knives. As a mom, it can be brutal to witness.
Having a sister of my own, I know that though they hurt much, they love more.....
                      
I know this by the way they will push their beds together some nights, just to be close. I know this by the way they giggle over secrets and whisper things only they understand. I see how much they love each other when they have a conversation by just looking at one another across the dinner table, or when they walk shoulder to shoulder in the way they have since they could stand- a sure sign of their twinship. I hear how much they love when they speak and dream of their futures and how they plan to always live near each other. I know how deeply they love when I see one literally ache for the other and she reaches out to her sister .
And yesterday,  I saw love ......
Liz was too tired from an hour of walking and I turned back to
see Kate struggling to carry her sister. Kaitlin carried her all the way to the car, and though she had to stop three times to hoist Liz onto her back, she kept going and I heard her say
"don't worry Liz, I am stronger than you right now."
 A sister can carry you when you aren't strong enough to walk alone. That is love,
and in my last breath, I will take comfort in knowing my girls have their sister.
                                                 
                     

2 comments:

  1. This is so special and I'm in tears right now, especially the part where it's hard being the mom witnessing the mean sisters can be to each other, but also how they are ultimately there for each other loving and supporting each other...I wish our daughters could be like that with each other, it doesn't seem like they'll ever get there, but you give me Hope. I love how much you share and your honesty.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of the girls smiling and giggling together on the animal print blanket are the cutest ever!! This post brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat. Having a sister is a precious blessing. Love the music in the background as well.

    ReplyDelete