Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Saturday, April 23, 2011








Megan is the best. Not only did she color eggs and decorate cookies with her girls and Kate and Jackson, she cleaned it all up and brought it to the hospital to do all over again with Elizabeth! So fun.




What a happy room!





We are all ready for the bunny in room 235!

a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhAMZRGHfx1AXJjNzJkVgeBMwQg2EbNWrjg3f6h_Vvxh-1unNQhpQ2mksPBPo1PSObbtgJQ6G5DpVeMapW_K4_-FXD-GwhxiIcHoYEkuJH0IQmRkn_bTf_0yXWQN73CAF4vhe8E5ManLTs/s1600/IMG00309-20110423-1943%255B2%255D.jpg">


I LOVE Easter. I love going to church, I love what the day really means, I love being with family and friends, I love that it feels like Spring on Easter Sunday. All of it makes me happy. Boo for missing out on it tomorrow. Elizabeth actually has spent a birthday in the hospital (her 6th) so spending a special day in here is not new for her. Liz is still in isolation and cannot participate in the fun things the hospital is doing, so Megan brought the fun to her this afternoon.

I am SO exhausted. I am also moody and short tempered. Both of us are. For the past 4 nights, Liz turns into a disrespectful, naughty girl at about 8:00pm. I know she is tired and feeling caged, as she has been in this same room, on isolation and unable to walk past the doorway, for 7 full days. Tonight I left for 2 hours to go to dinner with Walt and to Target for Easter things. Target had not one bag of plastic eggs left. Not one! I finally asked someone and ended up pleading "Please look in the back. My daughter is in the hospital and I NEED eggs!" I realized I had the same sass in my voice as Liz has had in hers, out of exhaustion and frustration. The employee looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

So, the long and short of it, since so many are asking, is this: One of the first days here her urine was tested for infection. It came back positive. They retested it and that came back negative. So odd. SHe was started on an antibiotic. After two days, they decided she hadn't had an UTI afterall and stopped the antibiotic. They kept looking for infection, knowing she had one somewhere based on pain and bloodwork.
She has had her stool sample tested 4 times for CDifficile. Yesterday's sample came back positive. So, she was started on an antibiotic for that. She's had CDiff 4 times before (after surgery and being on an antibiotic). Her GI doc told me today she is his only case of a child with so many times of reccurring CDiff. There are only two antibitotics used to treat CDIff and I worry about her building a resistance to them and then not having something to use the next time she gets it. There is a scale of how "bad" CDiff can be for someone. Obviously bleeding isn't good. That is a sign she's developed colitis.
Her labs from today show her platelet count has dropped again, so tomorrow she will have repeat labs to check that and some other counts that were abnormal. They are watching her bleeding (with stool) carefully.
I am leaving out a lot. Motly because I am too tired to recall it all and the order in which everything happened. I DO know that I can't believe whe have been here this long.

I am praying there is a chance we can be discharged tomorrow afternoon or evening. That would be SO great. After 8 days here, we need out! If Eizabeth's fever stays away, she is able to eat and drink more (she still has the iv), her pain is manageable and her bloodwork looks better, that may be a real possibility!


No comments:

Post a Comment