Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

9 was fine, but 10 is...

This picture should have posted at the end, but didn't. We have a tradition in our family of reading the Dr. Seuss book Happy Birthday To You! In fact, the book I was reading from was read to me by my mom on my first birthday. I have read it while the girls were too young to care or one year, while they were fast asleep.... as long as it gets read the tradition contiues....




We started another tradition a few years ago, of going to Disneyland for the girls' birthday. I thought they may want to change things this year, as they are getting older, but they asked to go to Disney with only Mom and Dad. I know this will end soon and friends will top their invite list, so I soaked in every minute of time as a foursome.....Megan has passes to Disneyland and took Jackson home with her after he'd had fun with us, too, to give the girls alone time. It was a perfect day. Thank you, thank you, Mike, for getting us passes for the day. We couldn't have done the trip without your generosity and we are grateful!








Small World, a year apart. What a difference a year makes.





"It's a world of laughter, a world of tears. It's a world of hopes, a world of fears...it's a small world" Oh my goodness, we totally experienced this at Disneyland... we were in line for a ride and the woman in front of us heard Liz say she needed to sit back down (in the wheelchair). The woman reached into her bag and pulled out two Disney trading pins for the girls. The one she gave Liz was a butterfly! A BUTTERFLY! Liz wasn't wearing a shirt or hair clip, or anything that had a butterfly on it. I told her that when many see a butterfly, they think of Liz because of how butterflies always seem to be around her. The woman said "Of course they do! They are free and happy and make people smile. I knew to give her that pin." And talk about a small world, the woman has a 21 year old daughter who has Cystic Fibrosis and gets treatment at the same hospital Liz does. They even have two of the same doctors. It was a special encounter.











The girls were happy and silly at our Rainforest Cafe lunch.





They have no shame. This was taken right at the entrance to the restaurant and store. Right.Where.People.Walk.By! I thought we were going to wet our pants from laughing so hard!







Behold, the $17.95 dessert that we ordered out of peer pressure! ha! My girls couldn't eat this all even if we paid them and would have been happy with the small dessert that kids get for their birthdays at the restaurant. However, the look-alike-kid from Jerry Maguire, who was seated at the table next to us, had this chocolate mountain delivered to his table. We totally caved and ordered one for the girls.





Look at Kaitlin's face, just soaking in hearing people sing to her. Yes, Kate, you are SO special and deserve to feel so!





Sneaking make-up, sass at times, new talk of boys being cute...I am fighting them acting too old, too fast. Inside I was quietly happy that they are still "young" enough to choose a stuffed animal at the gift shop.





By about 7:00pm, Liz fell asleep in line for a ride. Sweet, sweet Kaitlin was kind enough to not shove her off of her shoulder, though I know she may have wanted to.



It's fun to be 10- Day 2

These aren't even half of all the cards the girls received! I asked friends to send a card or drawing to the girls to add extra cheer this year, and the response was AMAZING! I can't explain how giddy the girls were to get mail each day and to read what everyone wrote. EACH one was appreciated and I am grateful!



I saved one gift each for the girls to use in a scavenger hunt in the evening. My kids LOVE a good hunt! I cannot tell you how good they are at figuring out clues and riddles; what took me 25 minutes to plan and write out, they solved in less than 5. Those clues were difficult but the girls were awesome at solving each one.





A few of their gifts.... Liz looks adorable in her new apron!



Kaitlin has been wanting a "real" guitar for a while. We decided it isn't just a phase and got her one.



Make a wish, my Liz.




A friend, Cassie, dropped by earlier in the day with a Creative Cakery cake for each of them. Ironically, they had the same "hula" cake at their first birthday party. So fun!



On their actual birthday, the day after Disney, the girls chose "Ms. Bonetati's" restaurant....the rest of you know it as yummy Cheesecake Factory.



They lost their darn minds as the meal went on. By the time their dessert was delivered by a handsome server, and Walter told then how freaked out he was by them talking about the cute boy, the giggles were out of control!




Happy 10th Birthday, my sweet girls. I loved you before I ever knew you. You made me a mommy and because of that I am a better person. Loving you is like having my heart live outside of my body and I am privledged to have had God choose me to help you grow. I cannot promise many things, but I can promise that I will always love you and in me you will always have someone who will not judge you, will listen and value what you have to say and how you were made, and will hold you up when you feel you may start to fall. You have the free will and the mind and heart and strong bodies to do anything and be anything in this world. I can't wait to see what year 10 is like!

No comments:

Post a Comment