Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Tiki Room

This morning started out with the sad news that Elizabeth would not be going home for a few days. Elizabeth was crushed and cried for about 3 hours straight at the thought of enduring a colonoscopy, remaining hospitalized, missing 4th of July fun and having our scheduled trip to Boston and Maine jeopardized. BUT, the day turned out to be great and I think we both feel energized and ready to face the remainder of her hospitalization and then her recovery at home. We made her room fun, got to spend time with Megan and Kaitlin, had a visit and hugs from our friend (and brave Alyssa's mommy), Juliette; had an unexpected gift dropped off by a new (kind!) friend, spent hours with our sweet Gooches, I got to run home for a shower and to see Jackson for the first time in 3 days, and Liz got a new DVD player. Plus, Liz has the same fun nurse she's had the last three nights and she is great with her. A good day, right?!







Elizabeth's room got a little hula makeover. I asked Megan to please pick something up to brighten this boring hospital space, and she delivered! Elizabeth perked up and thought the decorations were so fun, right down to the blow up flamingo that Kaitlin named Lola.






I don't know how to write the rest of this post without crying. I haven't let myself cry in the last few days, determined to hold it together considering I lost my damn mind in emotion on Friday morning. Still, seeing my Holly and the rest of the Gooch fam and then watching them walk away, just about broke me down. Their short visit to California was to include time spent with us and of course those plans changed with Elizabeth's hospitalization. This afternoon though, our day was totally brightened by a 3 hour visit. This morning, I warned Liz's nurse that we would be having guests. Miller Children's Hospital fully supports the Family Centered Care movement and as long as it isn't disruptive to the patients' medical care, whoever is important to the patient is allowed to visit. Let me tell you, this visit was important! Our hearts are filled and Liz has been smiling since this afternoon. Aunt Holly is naughty and encouraged the kids to raise the hospital bed to its highest level (which is super high) and give eachother bed "rides." Little Gavin bathed the pink flamingo in the sink, the kids were loud with giggles, and balloons were everywhere. Total, fun, chaos!
Holly and I have held eachother up for the past year and to have her in the same room was a gift. Having a best friend live so far away is difficult and how I wish we could just have a fun visit, away from this hospital while she is in town. Hugging her goodbye made my heart ache.
We love you Gooch family.


Liz and, wait for it...cancer-free Spence!!! They just get eachother and care or eachother so much.



What a crew! So happy to be in the same town; in the same space.



Sweet Belle and Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment