Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Daddy's girls





Walter has faults... but, don't we all? One of the things I love most about him is how he tries to connect with his children. This is a man who had no siblings growing up and so connecting with children, other than in friendship, is something that was foreign to him. Being a father to Jackson is more natural, though still not as easy as it would be had he had a father of his own in his life. Connecting with his daughters, I can imagine (and I witness), must take work...and he does work at it.
When we found out we were having twins all I could think was "Oh please let them be boys!" I thought that would take the sting out of Walter learning he'd have two at the same time. He has been a loving and doting father to the girls and I don't know what I was ever worried about. I do feel sometimes that I am teaching him so many things about parenting girls, but he does his very best.
Many nights, before tucking them into bed, I will find the three of them sitting and talking. Most often he his teasing them about their latest crush or the current songs they sing or things they say. In the photo above, I had no idea what they were talking about when I snuck a picture. Walt later told me that the girls were counting change and when he asked them what they were saving for they replied "A car. Oh, and a couple's dinner cruise for when we are older!" Can you imagine how difficult it was for him not to laugh?!
It is such an experience to sit back (alright, I interject much of the time) and watch Walt parent girls.... while half the time it is really they who are teaching him so many things about loving and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment