Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Nightmare

Quick update for those who are aware of Liz getting worse last night....
Her temp went up to 102.8 and I spent all night next to her, trying to decide if we should go to the ER or not. It has been drilled into me that if she gets a fever, we need to "act fast" rather than let an infection brew. With her symptoms being more of throat, chest and nose I knew the fever wasn't coming from her abdomen alone. So, I decided to try and treat her like I would Kaitlin and Jack and wait it out until morning. The ER is something we'll avoid at all cost.
She tried to sleep all night, but was just too uncomfortable and too hot. She would start to fall asleep, but then wake crying or talking in a way that didn't make sense. Tylenol wasn't cutting it, so finally at 3:30am I decided to risk giving her Motrin. Her last platelet counts have been lower than "normal" but not too low at all, so I felt that giving her the Motrin once was safe (no more though. The doc told me this morning not to do that again. Blah!). It worked to bring the fever down a bit and she finally fell asleep about 4:30am. Poor baby girl.

We got to the Pediatrician's office by 9:00. Her Strep test was negative. It looks like she has the start of a sinus infection....a nightmare. She cannot be on any antibiotics right now that are used to treat infections (the antibiotics used to treat CDiff are different than those used to treat pneumonia, sinus infections, bronchitis, etc.). The pediatrician called the infectious disease doctor and they added a mix of medications and breathing treatments to try to get (and keep)out all of the mucous from her nose, throat and chest. We left with 3 more medications and 2 more breathing treatments added to her medicine arsenal. She is showing signs of dehydration, and I think she got the message loud and clear that if she doesn't drink, she's being admitted again.
The next few days will be telling. Pray that she recovers and that she doesn't end up progressing to the infection that would leave us no choice but to treat with an antibiotic.
I thought the doctor's use of "nightmare" was fitting considering I used it just yesterday. This does feel like a never-ending nightmare. Last night Elizabeth asked me "are you telling me God planned for this too?!" It is getting more and more difficult to let my facial expressions do the talking when she voices questions and concerns that I have no other answers for.

Her stool has also changed a bit today. I pray it is just in response to the meds or virus she has going on right now and not the Cdiff progressing, too.
We are keeping her on Zofran 'round the clock now so that her nausea won't get in the way of her getting fluids in.
This all feels like a nightmarish game....adjusting meds, using risk vs benefit to decide how to best treat her, and trying to keep track of it all.

At the doctor's office, she was laying on the table in the room with the lights off while we waited for the doctors to talk. She looked at me and said "Aren't you so tired Mama?"
Not as tired as you, my Liz. Not as tired or as tolerant as you.

1 comment:

  1. my heart aches for you! Strong, patient, loving Liz and Allyson! May the answers come soon.

    ReplyDelete