Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Friday, April 6, 2012

"Those Moms"

"When a woman rises up, her energy is magnetic and her sense of possibility contagious."

I have been thinking a lot lately about the women who have come into my life over the past few years. I am fortunate to have many strong women around me, to offer wisdom and influence on many things.
The women I have been thinking of lately, though, are mothers; mothers who have been given the awesome (in every sense of the word) role of caring for a child who requires extra special care. Mothers who God looked at and said "Awww, you. You can care for this child in a way that another may not."

I have been hesitant to call myself one of "them", just as I have been hesitant to acknowledge truly how sick Liz has been. There is no denying though that I have become one of them. I realize that each time I catch the eye of another mother like me, and we exchange a smile in acknowledgement of how we can understand each other in some way. I realize it every time I sit in the OR waiting room, hands clasped around Elizabeth's favorite blanket, and see another mother in the same position.
A new friend said it best- "It is kind of like a club. A club you would never want to be a part of, but you are grateful is there."
I met a new friend, who's son is very, very sick with a very rare disease. This woman, J., amazes me every time I read her words or see her. Last week as we sat talking, I kept glancing at her arms....she was literally holding her son (who is not small) up. How many hours she spends holding her precious boy; how many hours she pours so much of herself- her energy, her smile, her voice, her strength- into her son. I stared at her and I wanted to cry. Not because of how very sad her reality is, but because of how her strength amazes me. Our talk was on the heels of learning of Liz's marrow results, and was right before an appointment I was dreading. Watching J, though made me think of the quote above. Her energy, her ability to keep going on days she must feel so weary, is magnetic. How lucky am I to know her and have her influence?

This "club"- "those moms"-  are women who I know will relate to certain things that some of my other dear friends may not. They know the medical jargon. They know what it is to fight for your child's life. They know, just by a glance, how to tell one another to keep going. They know an exhaustion that surpasses any fatigue we've ever known before. They know the amazing life that comes from having a child who has been sick. They know that life can be so difficult, but life is extra sweet when you have learned not to take a minute for granted.

If you know me, you know I would never want to be a part of something that focuses on the negative. The amazing women who have come into my life are anything but that. It is not a coincidence that women who have been dealt the horrific heartache of having a sick child, can be optimistic and joyful. One of the things about these moms that I appreciate the most is that to them, life is wonderful. My goodness, many people would look at the lives of these women and perhaps think of mostly sadness or awful things. Sure, there have been many times I have commiserated with friends like these about frustrations and sadness; about anger and doubt. But that is not who these women are. They are positive and full of life. When I have been in a room of these women- even a hospital room as one of our children has laid in the bed, sick- there is more laughter than tears.
This club-this wonderful group of mothers- is strength and inspiration, influence and courage, energy and support, empathy and encouragement, bravery and love. They are a reminder to never give in or give up, and as I watch them care for their sweet children, I am in awe.
For some of us (for me!), our children will get well. For others, you already know that the reality is that your child will not. And there are the mommas whose child has already gone on. And still, He was right. He looked at us and said "Awww, you can care for this child in a way another cannot."

To you- "those" moms who have come into my life.... I think you are amazing and you inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment