Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Memory

On a friend's facebook page, I read a message to her that said "Someday this will all be a memory" (in reference to her son's hospitalization due to a post-op infection). That simple sentence struck me -it literally made me take in a deep breath- and has been echoing in my head for days.

I keep thinking when or even if this will one day all be a memory; if there will be a day when Liz won't have a "special tummy." Honestly, I don't think so. She has had to deal with her stomach and the surgeries, procedures and pain it brings since she was born. That won't be a memory.
But the awful year and a half will hopefully-prayerfully- be a memory one day. This day-to-day sickness and the blood issues and fatigue and constant infections....gosh, these are the things that have been the most difficult and the things that make me wonder when they will all be just a memory. She is only 10 years old and I just want it to be a memory for her.

Tomorrow we should hear results from the samples left Friday. These results will be a bit of a turning point for us, so I am very anxious to hear. She has had much more pain this weekend and just does not feel well at all. On top of the stomach pain form the CDiff, her poor bottom hurts and the respiratory virus she started with last week is worse. We are praying her worsening cough isn't a sign of the start of bronchitis or pneumonia. Having to take an antibiotic for either would be the worst thing for her right now, as that would just fuel the CDiff toxin.

A friend asked if Liz knows how many people are praying for her....she has an idea, but in her young mind it is hard to grasp what is unseen. She knows that her name is in our church bulletin and members are praying for her daily. I tell her that many friends are praying and she hears from some of you who tell her so.

Would you please, please pass on a prayer request for Liz? Maybe even pass on the blog address so people can be led to prayer on her behalf? It has been an awful, awful six months and I am over the way this infection has changed our lives and made my Liz feel so sick. Liz is amazing and has been so very tolerant, but she is tired and I am asking for prayer....from anyone. Thank you.



Now.....for some smiles:

My Kate made me so proud yesterday as she tried out for Club volleyball. I would have been proud of her just for conquering her fear and nervousness, but she was also great out there with her skills and I loved watching her!

Jackson had his second day on the ice for hockey....and this time the coach gave the kids pucks to move around the ice. Jax had fun and when my sister told him he was going to be better than Uncle Travis, he shrugged and gave us all a "yeah, what can I say? I'm good!" look.

The girls convinced Jackson to give them foot massages today (which I don't understand at all given he was the one with sore feet from skating). After, Liz told him "If you were older and you weren't my brother, I would maybe let you be my boyfriend because you give good massages and you are a funny guy!"

Kate has told Liz more times than I can count "If you don't quit being naughty, you're going to end up in Juvi!" How does she even know about Juvenile Hall, let alone its nickname?

And lastly.... Super Spence and our Gooches (sounds like a name for a band, Holly!) are leaving for Walt Disney World on Tuesday! It seems like he was just in the hospital, sick from stage IV cancer and fighting so hard for his life, and now....that is a memory and the family will experience 10 days of Disney magic through Make-A-Wish. Enjoy your wonderful trip, Gooch family! Spencer, you fought so, so hard and we are grateful for your victory!!



Liz with Spence during his visit to California in July. These are some tough kiddos.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I wanted to share my secret on how I beat CDiff after having it for 2 years. Please email me @ajmpeanut@yahoo.com if you'd like me to share my story and what I did to cure it. I would like to help your daughter.

    Truly,
    Andrea Dailey

    ReplyDelete