Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Wish

My birthday is this week, and for ten years I have had the same wish...I just want the health of my family. I especially have always wished for Liz to be well. How in the world is it that I am still making this wish?

Elizabeth's CAT scan from Friday does indeed show a sinus infection. With this confirmation and given that she has been sick with all of the symptoms of an infection for three weeks, with no sign of improvement, the Infectious Disease doctor has given the go-ahead on her starting an antibiotic. We have no choice at this point. Remember, plans to start her on any antibiotics will need to be discussed with an Infectious Disease doctor for many, many years to come. Antibiotics throw off the normal flora in our gut, and for Liz, this means the CDiff toxins are given fuel to grow and overtake her intestines and colon. She gets CDiff when she is on an antibiotic. Plain and simple....yet so, so complicated all at the same time.
So, tonight she will start an antibiotic under the guidance of her doctors. I actually am tearing as I write this because I can't believe we're doing this already. She just can't stay well long enough to give her little body a chance to get strong and have the upper hand at fighting all this stuff.

Over the past few years, I have told the doctors, mainly the surgeon, to not tell me what small percentage of patients have x,y,z happen. If we are told only 2% of patients have a complication- Elizabeth has been that 2%. Time and time again. I now feel like adding the phrase "We do not want this to happen" to the list. Please doctors, don't say "we do not want this to happen"....because if you do, it does.

I can't express how scary this is. Please pray with us- that her body will fight the CDiff as the antibiotics work to fight the infection. Such a scary, scary mess that I want to just wish away.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Allyson, I'm so sorry to hear you & Elizabeth have another battle to go thru. What a trial! Seems like there is no sense to it, and there is none. -But we believe in hope and the power of love and the Almighty no matter the senselessness and unfairness of it ALL!
    Do give a pro-biotic(beneficial flora) to Liz either in pill form or in a milk shake. They have many to choose from, the broader the better. Start now! Love to you, -Heidi

    ReplyDelete