Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Hooves

One of the pediatricians from the group the kids go to came by this morning. She is special to me because in the way life works for good sometimes, she has been the doctor on call during almost every one of Liz's hospitalizations throughout the years. She is a great doctor and a mommy (which benefits a doctor's care) and I like that she doesn't freak out or over treat things. Anyway, she came by to see us and talk with me about Kate's lab results from today.
"When you hear hooves, you don't know just by sound whether it is a horse or zebra you are hearing"
This is what the doc had to say to me after giving me news that the Hemotology/Oncology doctors will be by to see us today because Kate's labs are pretty bad. Much worse than yesterday's and looking a lot like Liz's. Her quote is meant to remind me that though we have wondered if Kate would eventually present like Liz (mostly because they are identical twins), we have to keep in mind that Kate's blood may be reacting to something else and we are not positively going down the path that Liz is on. One's blood counts can go down when an infection causes suppression, but usually not all three cell lines. Still, I am trying to be optimistic and hope it is just a reaction. Besides, have you looked at Kate lately? My little beauty is a tank! So tall and strong, and starting to get an athlete's body as she plays volleyball. She is fine.

Kate's fever is better this afternoon and we just stopped the iv meds to see how her tummy does off of the Zofran. She ate a bit of lunch and hopefully she will stay feeling much better. For now, we are waiting for the hem/onc docs to come by and speak with us.

I feel torn because Jackson is home sick today, too. He just has a bad cold, but wants his mommy. Walter is working 11-11pm, so he isn't home either. Princess Liz slept until 9:45am and feels good.... we are praying that she can fight off the cold Jackson has. If she can stay healthy through this week, I will consider it a huge win for team Liz!



No comments:

Post a Comment