Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Friday, December 23, 2011

Phew!

Phew, it has been a rough week. First with Kate's sudden illness and hospitalization and then with Jackson being sick. After getting through all of that, I was so happy Wednesday to finish all my wrapping and cleaning in anticipation of relaxing and just enjoying the few days before Christmas. Man, this year has taught me- and keeps reminding me- that I can plan all I want, but things may not go as I would like. Yesterday Walter woke up pretty sick with the stomach flu and just as I was heading out the door to take Elizabeth to the hospital for her long morning of studies, Jackson came to me vomiting. ugh! Poor Walter, I had to throw Jack in bed with him and rush off. Guilt!
Today Walter is better and Jackson is the best he has been all week. I think he was just sick to his stomach because of all of the mucous and coughing. Poor kiddo has missed a week of school and has been asking for his buddies. The natives are growing restless being under the same roof for so many days while feeling sick.
Kate went back to school yesterday (if only to escape the yuck happening here) and even played in her first scrimmage last night for her club volleyball team. I hated letting her play, but she insisted on not missing it as she said she didn't want to have her coach think she wasn't tough. Sweet girl; she wouldn't even tell him she'd been so sick. When he commented on how pale she was, she said nothing. Hard core!

During the night Liz woke with a bad headache and this morning had a fever and dizziness when she would stand up from sitting. I reminded myself that we have had plenty of illness in the house this week and so it is possible that she is just fighting off a virus. When her counts get low and the doctors warn to bring her in if she gets a fever, I have to use my judgement or we would be in all the time!
It was very sad though when she told me that she doesn't care about Christmad because she feels sick. I am praying that she gets some sleep tonight and wakes feeling much better in the morning, because she is NOT spending Christmas in the hospital or in bed. She just isn't.




Yesterday Liz had a gastric emptying study in Nuclear Medicine. After our rough week and the chaos of the morning, I started to cry as I sat at the light waiting to enter the hospital. 80% of the hospital nurses started a strike yesterday and they were making it difficult for cars to enter the lot. My frustration just reached a limit and I couldn't stop my tears. I cannot speak to their issues, as I am not a nurse there, but as I watched only one car per long light be able to get into the hospital, I wanted to yell out to them "Do you think we want to be here? Have you even thought that perhaps one of these cars holds the family of someone who is dying in there and they have been called to rush to the hospital, but now must wait and wait at this light?! Get in there and take care of the patients!"
Anyway, we finally made it inside and though the test takes a few hours, it was uneventful. Liz was patient through it all and I was grateful for that.



Looking forward to a wonderful weekend. For those coming over tomorrow night, know that the house has been bleached, sanitized and laundered. We have no more germs to spread and we are looking forward to a home full of extra fun and love (and maybe even a Wii dance off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment