Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Classy and Crappy

Life can be crappy and today was a crappy day. Literally. Not our most classy art piece ever, but it is true that tulips smell better than poop. Even the classiest lady would agree with that!

True, true, true and true!

I feel the need to make Liz's room as un-hospital as I can. I have done this since she was an infant and I refused to put her in a hospital-issued tee and instead would dress her in sleepers and onsies from home, having to cut the clothing up the side so that the clothes could be removed even when she had an IV placed.
I am not alone in this. I often see other mamas doing the same- using crib bumpers from home, or hanging curtains, or even bringing in mini fridges.
It is a natural instinct for some mothers to have an urge to nest; to make their child's hospital room as familiar and comforting as possible. I absolutely have that urge each and every time we are here.

Jill Rub- look what is hanging from the ceiling? Two butterflies came to her window today that were the same color as this one.

Looking so old as she reads a magazine full of fashion, sent by sweet Allison. She also received bracelets that she said were "rich" and asked if the hospital had a safe to keep them in! Do you love it?! She was dead serious. Because I have so many jewels and she hears me requesting safe storage when we are at a hotel or here in the hospital. Or not!


We are exhausted. Liz was up all night running to the bathroom. Finally we started using diapers, but even then it was constant. Each time I would get her cleaned up and settled, I would sit down and literally it would start all over again. For twelve hours she suffered.
Thankfully, her difficult time was "rewarded" and an xray confirmed that she is totally cleaned out of all the impacted stool she was full of. Poor baby. Other than tummy pain, she did not complain one single time during her horrible clean out ordeal. In turn, I couldn't complain about my exhaustion or frustration- she is so inspiring!

Now that she is cleaned out, her NG tube feeds will begin. Each night, it will run from 10pm-4am. During the day we would like her to eat by mouth. Once the feeds start tonight, the plan is to be here for 3-5 days and watch how much weight she can gain as well as how well her stomach can handle a 2000 calorie diet.

Dietary wants her to gain 10 pounds within a month, which would put her at the 50% BMI for her age and height. That seems like a huge expectation, but it is necessary for her to get to a safe place, they say. We'll see.

More to update, but ready to sleep, as I didn't get even ten minutes of rest last night or today.
Please keep praying. She is going to get so strong!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment