Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Friday, January 14, 2011

Long nights and an incident



{I have been up for the past three nights with Jackson, who is sick. Literally, I have had a combined 5-6 hours of sleep over the past three nights. As I have held him for hours straight while the rest of the house is sleeping, I have relived his baby years in my head.
I wanted a baby so badly after having the girls. We'd planned to have another child sooner than we did, but we were waiting for a year of Liz being healthy and for things to settle down. Once the girls were 4 years old, I started begging Walter for a baby. I went so far as to promise, to swear, that he'd never have to change a diaper or get up during the night. Of course he changed hundreds of diapers and got up with Jackson countless nights!
When I was pregnant with my wish-come-true, I would sit in the nursery, dreaming of how this baby boy would change our lives. Once Jackson was here, I would rock him during the night, much like I have the last three nights, and whisper stories of adventures he may have and dreams of all I wanted for him.
These last three nights have been exhausting, but gosh, I have once again been given hours in the still of the night, when there is no one else in the world to bother us, to just stare at my big baby boy (remember doing that as your newborn slept in your arms?) and hold him close and whisper how much I love who he is and how happy I am God chose me to be his mommy.

{ The photo above was taken at the beach house in August. Jack's birthday always falls during our week at the beach and so we celebrate with family there. In this photo, Kaitlin is holding Jack as he prepared to open the gift from her. I chose to share this picture because I wanted to write about both Jack and Katie tonight.....
THIS story will make you laugh!

Two years ago, Kaitlin came to me, crying and saying her eyes were burning. I was calm because, oh how I cannot tell you how much of a "baby" Kaitlin is when it comes to injury or illness. She has SO many wonderful gifts and traits...but bravery in illness or injury is not one of them. My little scientist in the making seriously faints at the sight of her own blood.
I calmly asked what she was talking about and she just kept saying her eyes were burning. I saw that her eyes were tearing and so I handed her Kleenex to dab at them. Over the next minute, her face began to get more red and her eyes became swollen. I started to get a bit worried because she couldn't tell me why her eyes were burning or her face was swelling. As she started to vomit and become frantic, I finally got her to walk me to the site of the "incident".... my car.
That girl had gone into my car and with the doors shut, went into the glove compartment.... and pepper sprayed herself!!!! She thought the can was perfume, so she sprayed it in the air and then head-dove into it, as to get the perfume sent on her body!!! Are you laughing yet? I am!!! Have you nominated me for Mom Of The Year yet?
I was pretty sure she was going to live, but also knew it couldn't have been a good thing to have had pepper sprayed yourself in a closed car. What does one do when their child has pepper sprayed herself?! I called a friend who is an officer and he said she'd be fine after she washed out her eyes and her face and had a glass of milk... and to watch her closely for a bit.
Can you picture this? It is just too funny and I will never forget her swollen little face.... or how much I have laughed over what I have since named the "Pepper perfume incident."

No comments:

Post a Comment