Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Admitted


This cute giraff has a soothing sound machine inside. I bought two of them months ago knowing I would give one to Liz the next time she was admitted. The second one I thought I would give to a friend, but Kate is so sad Liz and I are at the hospital, I thought she'd get some comfort in having one.


It is 11:00pm and things have finally calmed down enough for Liz to try to sleep. She was admitted to the hospital at 5:00 this evening and it took this long to get her orders written, xrays done and finally her iv started. Phew! Luckily, she was a direct admit which means the doc had her admitted from home rather than having to go through the ER. I am so happy about that because I hate it down there! We avoided the ER mess, the hassel of that extra step and the $200 ER co-pay.

Liz is here because of a few reasons..... her pain needs to get under control, her lungs still aren't clear after 10 weeks, yesterday's chest xray showed a distended colon, and the GI and Infectious Disease teams are thinking of trying a new mix of drugs for the CDiff. Basically, things are getting out of control.
I hate that Miller Children's does not have every patient room as private. Who in the world came up with the idea of having sick people share the same space? It is awful! Luckily, Liz needs an isolation room so we don't have to deal with strangers, extra germs or privacy issues. Actually, we have to deal with all those things in here, but we don't have a roommate and for that I am grateful.

Elizabeth is feeling very out of control herself, I can tell. She is freaking out about germs, refusing to use the bathroom here (she fially did), refusing to get into bed because she said someone at one point had died in it (she finally got in), refusing to take her meds unless she was promised a puppy (I said I would talk to Walt), and then, when the nurse asked her to rate her pain on the number scale, Liz told us to guess it because she wasn't going to tell us ( I wanted to scold her, but I was secretly laughing inside at that one!).

Liz finally has fallen asleep....so off to my awesome (not at all!!) chair bed. Please pray for Liz and if you see Kate or Jackson around town please give them some extra love, too.

1 comment: