Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

All is for You

Monday night was an experience I have never had before and likely won't have again. In fact, I think few people experience in their lifetime what I was blessed with. To be in a room (or rooftop) with dozens and dozens (hundreds?!) of people who were present with the sole purpose of supporting me and my family.....how often does that happen?
People from my past - we're talking decades past-, friends of friends, past teachers, pastors, family and even strangers, were all there for us. Poly High had a mini reunion that night...it was fun to see all of you. There was one point where I looked around the crowd and just smiled as I took in each face and the memories I have of every one of them.
As my sister said, Long Beach is so big, but that night was an example of how small life can seem; how tightly knit a community can be when they join together to support someone or something.
Our family has a tradition of reading the Dr. Seuss book Happy Birthday To You. In it there is a line that reads " All of it, all of it, all is for you." That line kept repeating in my mind as I drove away from the restaurant, headed back to the hospital to my Elizabeth. Gosh, at that point money was the farthest thing from my mind and I was just so energized from all the kindness and support the night brought! That night helped keep me encouraged for the next five days of the hospital stay.

We were sad that Liz was hospitalized and not able to join us for the night. I have shared how we were careful about how we explained the purpose of the evening, not wanting for Liz to feel that she has contributed to a heavy financial burden for us. Still, she knows that people who care about us got together and some gave us money....and she was sad to miss it. Plus, if there is a chance to get together for a "party" and maybe even wear a new outfit, Liz is all-in.

Jamie and Kemery were amazing in how they organized the event. They used many connections to reach out to people and spent so much time making the evening a success. We are so grateful to them.
And we are grateful to each of you. Whether you sent a donation, attended the fundraiser or even just thought of us, we appreciate you. I cannot get over the donations that have been sent and the sweet notes of encouragement that accompany them. The ones from strangers just floor me.

A friend said that the amount is such a drop in the bucket compared to our hefty medical bills....but any amount is so helpful. I will cringe a little less over the next couple months as I make our co-pay at each office appointment and as I am charged for this month's prescriptions.

Thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment