Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Just so you know....




"You want me to swallow that?!"
Elizabeth is amazing! She swallowed the capsule endoscopy on the first try! The pill is huge (25mm long and 10mm round looking down on the top). It has six LED's and a camera and radio transmitter....pretty amazing stuff. She wore a battery pack attached to 10 leads that were placed on her torso for eight hours and over the next 12 hours she should excrete the pill. We will get results in a few days.

Today was a good day as far as a day in the hospital goes. Liz had another guitar lesson with the music therapist and also was able to see a therapy dog that she has been asking for. Jackson came to visit for over two hours and I was able to take a walk with him, cuddle with him and spend some time kicking his butt in a game of air hockey in the playroom. After school the girls' wonderful teacher brought Kailtin to the hospital so that we could visit for a while. It was so good to be able to see my babies and I know Liz was energized by their visit. She is exhausted from her busy day and fell asleep as soon as our last visitor left the room.

Tomorrow is the deadline Liz gave as her limit to her stay here. Her exact words were "Just! So! You! Know!, Friday I am busting out of this place if we haven't left before then!" Last Saturday it seemed a crazy thought that we would still be here at this point, so I agreed with her. I should not have done that! She begins to cry as soon as she starts to speak about discharge. I don't know when we will be able to leave. Many things can be managed outpatient, but she needs to start eating better and get off of iv fluids. She also needs to prove that she can maintain her weight. Then there is the issue of whether or not they are going to do any immunoglobulin therapy now. She will not be discharged tomorrow....but I don't know how to tell her that.

We have decided to pull her out of school for the next few months. It is the best thing to do due to her decreased immunity (more on this later as labs are still coming in, but she definitely has some kind of immune disease or disorder. We have also learned that her antibodies are attacking her cells; her platelets for example). She asked if she could still have recess if she is at home...silly girl. I have embraced the idea of how lucky I am to have all of this time with her and I am going to make the best of this.

Keep praying for our girl. I am grateful for all of the support and prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment