Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

A million words

18 months ago


January 2010


January 2011




I should label these Exhibit A,B,C,D and take them with me to Elizabeth's appointmentes this much. What in the heck is wrong with my kid?! These photos make my stomach churn and my heart skip a beat. Literally. I was going through my photos to sort into albums, and the difference in Elizabeth is startling. 18 months ago sticks out in my mind because we were dealing with Elizabeth's abdominal pain and hoping to control it with pain management (injections and working with the Pain Mngmnt team at CHOLA). When it was decided to do her 6th surgery in January, I never knew that would serve as a turning point for her. Look at how great she looks in the first two photos! That surgery was so simple and had nothing to do with blood levels or organs. After her surgery in January 2010, the leukopenia, thrombocytopenia and neutropenia started. The fevers, fatigue, bruising, sunken eyes...all of it started weeks after her surgery. I thought she was simply anemic and requested a simple blood test. I had no idea what that test would show and that we were in for a (now) over a year long road of trying to figure out what is wrong with her.
These pictures speak a thousand, no, a million words. She is little and the sparkle in her eyes is different. It makes me sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment