Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Play ball!!!

Let's play ball, Jackson West!



Walt always wanted a dad to play ball with. Now he gets to be that for his son.









Grateful for kind and patient coaches


Hey batter, batter!


"Why do I have to stop on 3rd base?!"


First time tagging home base




Go Bees!


Snacks are always the highlight!


Opening day of Jackson's first baseball season is today! There is A LOT riding on this...he just has no idea. Kidding....kind of. Walter and my dad LOVE baseball. I can't express how much my dad loves baseball and Walter can quote more stats than anyone I know. One thing my dad and my husband have in common is that they both loved the sport, but didn't have a father who was as supportive as they would have hoped. Support goes so far in the life of your child, doesn't it? Gosh, my kids don't have to be the best at anything, but I pray that they will feel supported by time, money and encouragement in any sport/dance/ hobby they have an interest in.
Many of you know I have a brother, Travis. Trav, I am going to call you out a bit, but I know you can take it. Travis played baseball as a kid; my father had a son and together they could both love the sport, right? NO! Travis, who, ironically, is now a professional athlete as a hockey player, sucked at baseball! He chased bees, picked weeds in the outfield and played with who-knows-who imaginary people out on the dirt. Of course now we know that the it was just too slow of a sport for him, but then, especially as his sister being dragged along to his games to watch him not play, I thought of him as the worst player ever. Who knew he'd turn into an amazing water polo player and eventually a pro-athlete?
Anyway, my poor dad had no hope in Travis as a baseball player. He was incredibly supportive at Trav's choice in sports, and Trav would not be a Pro now had it not been for that support.
SOooooo, Jackson is now up to bat. Metaphorically and literally. No pressure : )
I giggled today as Jackson spent his first two innings outfield scooping dirt into his glove and high-fiving every player on the opposing team as they rounded the bases. He totally reminds me of Travis and I think it is great!
Who knows if he'll love baseball or even like it; time will tell if Papa and Walter get their baseball boy or not. In the mean time, he is having fun and we are in hysterics watching the hilarious chaos that is TBall. Have a fun season Jackson West!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment