Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Alyssa











This is Alyssa. I have met many people in my life and will meet thousands more.... and still, Alyssa will always be someone I call one of the bravest, most special people I have ever known. If ever someone were to question God, Alyssa, in my mind, is "proof." She has proven miracles more than once and she alone has moved hundreds, maybe thousands, to their knees in prayer. How huge is that?! Her family is equally amazing as they have weathered her journey with her. To call them inspiring seems more than inadequate.
Alyssa attends the girls' school and I have known of her for two years. It wasn't until this past year and through my work at the hospital that we became friends. Hmm, maybe more like months for friend status with Alyssa, because while she is fun and friendly and unbelievably loving, she is weary of people until she gets to recognizing your voice...would that be fair to say Juliette? Anyway, I think I have developed her trust and as her cuddles and giggles in my ear now suggest, I am pretty sure I can call her a little friend.
To recap Alyssa's story is long and complicated. I will sum it up as best I can, and please visit her site for more details and to make a donation: Alyssa was diagnosed with leukemia at age 3. A year into treatment she developed headaches and had a major seizure. It was discovered that she'd developed Herpes Encephalitis which attacked her brain and caused major brain damage. She was in a coma and when she woke had right-sided weakness, a seizure disorder and was left blind. For two years, her seizures progressed. On a good day she had one or two, and on a bad day she would have up to 30 an hour.
In an effort to save her life, Alyssa had brain surgery in November of 2010. Two thirds of her left hemisphere was removed. She is amazing, and with time and therapy and strength, Alyssa recovered and has been able to talk and walk...and show how SMART she is with her cognitive thinking! In February, she suffered a set back and had another brain surgery due to an infection.
Alyssa has fought and beaten cancer. She has recovered from massive brain damage and survived the removal of a large portion of her brain. She is totally blind.
And still, she loves life and loves God. There are just no words to describe her.
The family is working hard to raise funds to get Alyssa a service dog to assist Alyssa with daily things, detect future seizures and help her live life to the fullest. If you would like to donate any amount, go to Paws for Ability and search for Alyssa Howes. (www.4pawsforability.org/dream.html#Alyssa Howe)If you would like to make a direct donation to her, let me know.


My reason for blogging about Alyssa tonight is not only to raise awareness about the fundraising that is going on for the dog she needs, but also to hopefully fill you with something you didn't have when you sat down at your computer tonight. Seeing Alyssa always reminds me how grateful I should be; how grateful I am. Alyssa inspires me and reminds me of hope, faith and courage. I pray you felt the same as you read her story.

Juliette (mom) and Cindy (grandma), thank you for letting me share your Alyssa's story. You are both so amazing and I am in awe of you. You are strength and courage and faith and it is an honor to be able to watch you when Alyssa is at times of needing you most.
















No comments:

Post a Comment