Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

For the past few days I have been feeling especially lucky, blessed and grateful. It is the kind of gratefulness that makes me smile and sigh all at the same time. How lucky am I with all I have?! Someone I know said "but you really aren't lucky. Things are kind of bad for you right now." Ummm, no! I mean, things are tough and I would do anything to make Elizabeth well and assure she'd never have to face any of these things again. I would love to have all the money we spend on medical bills back. I would like some other things to be easier, but really, I am so blessed.
In comparison to this person's comment, someone else also mentioned to me recently that my life seems so great. It is! But, please know that it is not perfect. My writings reflect mostly good things, but I am not perfect...just ask my kids, particularly on a day when I am stressed, short tempered and not feeling very grateful!

I certainly have done my share of complaining, but oh my, it seems people complain about so much! I know two people who complain on a daily basis. Every day is a hard day and every difficult situation, for them, carries the weight of a total crisis. How taxing and sad that must be! These are healthy people who have friends, money and family. My goodness, if every day is hard when you have these things, then I think you need to reevaluate things.... find gratefulness!

Yesterday when I was at the hospital to Mentor, two of Elizabeth's doctors saw me and gasped, assuming she was inpatient. I was grateful to walk out of the hospital and pick up my girl at school and bring her home, healthy(ish). I was, as I always am, overwhelmed with gratitude for my healthy kids, as I sat bedside with grieving parents who have some very sick children. If you have a healthy child, let me remind you how blessed you are. Do not take that for granted. Ever.

Today I am especially grateful for a husband who works so hard for our family and who rises early and works late to provide for us. I was also grateful when he paused before walking out the door this morning, while the rest of the house was still sleeping, to cover me with an extra blanket and whisper for me to have a great day. Another day I will get into why that act means so much, but for today I will just say that that simple act is a metaphor for us. I feel lucky today to have traditions to share with my children that make them giggle, smile and think of our family. Today I feel blessed to have girlfriends, a warm home and corned beef and cabbage.
I could go on and on with my list of gratefulness, but will simply close by saying that I hope today you feel grateful too.

Oh..... I am also grateful for little boys who see a motorcycle at Costco and assume, as easy as buying papertowels or a mega pack of granola, one can simply purchase the bike and ride off. : )

1 comment: