Life is wonderful and difficult... and I am grateful!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A little like Mayberry

A short update.
Elizabeth has not had a fever in a couple days, and although her cough sounds horrible, she is no worse and is able to sleep. The steroids seem to be helping, thank God. She'll have repeat chest xrays if her cough is not better by early next week.
For now, we have no appointments until next week when we have Infectious Disease, GI and then her next round of ivig on the 13th. We are hoping that our only trip to the hospital in between now and then is for the birth of Megan's baby who will be here any day! So exciting!!




Today I allowed Elizabeth to have a friend over for just an hour and the two of them set up a table outside to sell lemonade and cookies. I watched them from the kitchen window as I chopped vegetables for a soup I'm making (How domestic of me! Those who know me well are laughing right now as I am not the best cook. What can I say, Pioneer Woman can inspire even me).
In what felt like Mayberry, I was in awe of what I saw out that window. I warned the girls that it is a work day and they shouldn't expect many customers, but so many cars did stop to buy from them and even the trash truck made a second trip down the street and stopped to simply hand the girls each a dollar- without wanting any lemonade at all. So fun! Three neighbors from the opposite end of the street walked down and took time to ask the girls about their Christmas and offered compliments on the yummy lemonade. The girls even put up with Jackson as he rode back and forth on his bike yelling "Get your free lemonade...only 50 cents!!" Ha! We're going to have to work on his delivery.
I have mentioned that a certain Mr. Coppenger lives across the street and he and his roommates are so great with my kids. They always come out to buy whatever the girls are selling and today one of the guys brought over a large umbrella with a stand and insisted that the girls not be in the direct sunlight.

Now, none of these people, not even Coppenger, know that behind the lemonade stand is a story of little Liz, who has been bored to tears many times over these months as she is isolated from school and friends. They don't know that she was so very excited for a play date and to be able to set up her cute little table, put on her apron and pour cups of lemonade with the hope that people would stop buy to purchase from her.
Nobody knew any of that, but the sweet things happened anyway.
A little like Mayberry, right?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful for the good hearts of good people. Take care.

    ReplyDelete